#65. Rebel Angels

Rebel Angels by Libba Bray
Second in the Gemma Doyle series

Pages: 548
Finished: Aug. 29, 2007
Reason for Reading: next in the series, this is one of my picks for the RIP Challenge
First Published: 2005
Genre: YA historical fantasy
Rating: 4/5

First Sentence:


Herein lies the faithful and true account of my last sixty days, by Kartik, brother of Amar, loyal son of the Rakshana, and of the strange visitation I received that has left me wary on this cold English night.


Comments: This is my favourite series at the moment. I can't wait for the sequel to come out in December of this year. While not quite as much of a page-turner as A Great and Terrible Beauty this was pretty close. This book combines all my favourite genres into one : Victorian, fantasy, historical fiction and Gothic mystery. I am so intrigued with the fantasy world Bray has created. I find myself wanting to visit the Realms along with the characters. I'm really pleased with how the plot developed in this volume although I did figure out the surprise ending fairly early on. There is a satisfying sense of conclusion in this book but also the set up for conflict in the next book leaves me wanting more. Recommended!

Comments

  1. Nicola,

    I really really loved this book. I don't know what it was about it. I actually preferred this one over the first in the series. I'm not exactly sure why. They're both good though. I can't wait for the sequel to this one! But I'm sure they'll be quite a long hold list at the library. It seems *everyone* can't get enough of Libba Bray.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very much looking forward to the third book in this series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had quite enjoyed this book in the series, though not quite as much as the first one. Like you, the series has my favourite elements in it - fantasy, gothic and victorian bits. Happy to hear you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished A Great and Terrible Beauty and will be looking for Rebel Angels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looked for this one at the library, today. It's checked out, but I think I'm over-piling, anyway. Thanks for the review. I'll have to get to it *some* day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another good book to add to the list?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts