#94. The Member of the Wedding

The Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullers


Pages: 163
Finished: Oct. 16, 2007
Reason for Reading: 2nds challenge
First Published: 1946
Genre: Southern gothic, fiction, coming of age story
Rating: 4/5


First Sentence:

It happened that green and crazy summer when Frankie was twelve years old.



Comments: Twelve-year-old Frankie is fed up with her small town life where the only things that change are for the worse. Then one day, her brother announces he is getting married and the next two weeks take Frankie on a whirlwind as she becomes obsessed with the wedding and the new life she could have if her brother and his wife would only take her with them. This coming of age story was beautifully written. I was drawn into McCuller's world, smelling the smells and feeling the heat. Even though this is such a short book, it was a slow, leisurely read. I found myself stopping and savouring the scenes before I could start to read again. This book leaves me with a wistful, melancholy feeling. This is my second McCuller's book and I rather enjoy her not-so-happy endings. Recommended.

Comments

Popular Posts