116. Five True Dog Stories


Five True Dog Stories by Margaret Davidson
Illustrated by Susanne Suba


Pages: 47
Finished: June 27, 2008
First Published: 1977
Genre: children, non-fiction
Rating: 3.5/5

Reason for Reading: Dh read this to the 8yo and I always try to read the books too.

First sentence:


The policeman just happened to be passing a pet store one day.

Comments: Five short, easy-to-read yet interesting and exciting stories of true-life dogs with amazing accomplishments. While the stories are very good, I have to say the inside illustrations leave much to be desired as they are very indistinct and difficult to tell what exactly they are showing. Dog and/or animal loving kids will be sure to love these stories and this book written at a GR2 reading level would make a nice first chapter book for those who are ready. Stories included are:

Dox: one of the first police dogs
Grip: a stray dog trained to be a pick-pocket in the 1700s
Wolf - Famous dog of Alfred Payson Terhune's literature
Barry - A Saint Bernard who lived with the monks and saved people in the Swiss Alps
Balto - The famous dog who saved Nome, Alaska by delivering medicine in the middle of a terrible snow storm.


P.S. Please help me out with suggestions of documentary TV Shows suitable for kids in my post here. Thanks!

Comments

  1. Great review Nicola! I love dog stories, especially if their true. Though I rarely read childrens books, I think I'll add it to my TBR. Though right now is a little too soon after Robbie's death to read about dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was sorry to hear of your loss.

    These are all uplifting stories, except the Wolf one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts