47. Graphic Classics: Edgar Allan Poe

Graphic Classics: Edgar Allan Poe, 3rd edition edited by Tom Pomplun
Graphic Classics, Volume 1

Pages: 144
Finished: Feb. 28, 2009
First Published: 2006
Genre: graphic novel, short stories, poetry
Rating: 3.5/5

Reason for Reading: I noticed my library had just shelved a quite a few of the books in the series and I also noted that Rick Geary was one of the contributors in several of them. My interest was piqued by that and the looks of the book.

First sentence:

True I have been nervous ... very nervous.

Comments: An anthology of graphic adaptations of some of Edgar Allan Poe's works, both short stories and poems. Each story is written/illustrated by a different person such as Rick Geary, Matt Howarth, Lisa K. Weber and many more. Most of Poe's works collected here are his most famous but there are a few lesser known ones as well. A wide variety of styles are present, mostly the familiar cartoon bubble but also frames with narrative written beneath and even simply illustrated. For example "Hop-Frog" is presented in the original Poe text along with profuse illustrations by Lisa K. Weber.

My favourites were Rick Geary's retelling of "The Tell-Tale Heart" as I am fond of his work. I also enjoyed "The Imp of the Perverse" by Tom Pomplum and Lance Tooks which I had never heard of before. I also enjoyed Pedro Lopez' rendition of "The Cask of Amontillado" as that is one of my favourite Poe stories and the adaptation was well done.

Ultimately, an enjoyable and well done book. A great way to sample Poe's work before going on to read the real thing and also a new and different way for Poe's fans to enjoy his work in this modern format. I'll be looking into other books in the series.

Comments

  1. What a cool idea for a series! Man, Nicola, you are terrible on my wish list! You seem to read such 'different' things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do pretty bad damage to my wish list yourself, Kelly! I've read the second one of these and they are indeed quite wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts