Monday: Back to Books

Very busy mailbox again last week with the Cybils review copies rolling in. I also won 1 book and received 1 ARC.

First the review copies for Cybils nominees:



I won this book from Darlene at Peeking Between the Pages.


A small treasure of a novel in the tradition of The Bridges of Madison County and For One More Day. The Wakefields seem to have everything. Garrison is a hugely successful graphic artist. Liza is an active member of the community and a patron of the arts. Their 16-year-old daughter Angel is bright, beautiful, and a gifted dancer. At the same time, though, they have traded away many of their dreams. Garrison gave up a future as an accomplished painter to make money. Liza suspended her own dancing career to raise a family. And Angel is setting aside her ambitions to live her mother's dream.

When Angel gets into a car accident that kills her first love, the Wakefields' lives turn on a dime. While Angel lies in a coma from which even the best prognosis is devastating, Garrison and Liza sit by her side, their once-passionate marriage in tatters. As their heartache over Angel builds, Garrison and Liza struggle to rediscover who they once were--and who they were meant to be. They come to realize that it will take everything they have within themselves to heal Angel, heal their hearts, and renew the power of their love.

At once romantic, inspiring, and empowering, Song of Renewal is a rare bauble of a novel, one with something to say to every family.

And, finally, I received one ARC in the mail this week from Random House US. Of course, mine is an ARC so it doesn't have the pretty cover.


Seventeen-Year-Old Luce is a new student at Sword & Cross, an unwelcoming boarding/reform school in Savannah, Georgia. Luce’s boyfriend died under suspicious circumstances, and now she carries the guilt over his death with her as she navigates the unfriendly halls at Sword & Cross, where every student seems to have an unpleasant—even evil—history.

It’s only when she sees Daniel, a gorgeous fellow student, that Luce feels there’s a reason to be here—though she doesn’t know what it is. And Daniel’s frosty cold demeanor toward her? It’s really a protective device that he’s used again . . . and again. For Daniel is a fallen angel, doomed to fall in love with the same girl every 17 years . . . and watch her die. And Luce is a fellow immortal, cursed to be reincarnated again and again as a mortal girl who has no idea of who she really is.

Comments

  1. Wow, what a mailbox! I hope you enjoy them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Song of Renewal sounds heartwrenching! Are your Cybil books all graphic novels? My kids love them and I'm always looking for more choices for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great books this week! I really want to read Fallen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mary!

    Yes, Kristen. I'm on the graphic novel panel this year. My reviews the last few weeks and the weeks to come will be graphic novel heavy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see you have Fallen in common -- doesn't the cover look fascinating?

    Have fun revieiwng for the Cybils!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great week in books. I'm jealous! You got Fallen! Happy reading...I've enjoyed reading Dork Diaries with my niece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got a great variety of books! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your books! I love busy mail weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent pile. Hope you enjoy! Here is my link: http://thecrowdedleaf.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have Fallen here too. You had a great week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what an awesome week for books! i hope you enjoy them all! happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My daughter loved the Dork Diaries, so much so that she actually convinced me to read it. I hope to do so next week when I'm on vacation. Enjoy your new books!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts