57. Vermonia #4: The Rukan Prophecy by Yoyo

The Rukan Prophecy by Yoyo (Canada) - (US)
Vermonia, Vol. 4

Pages: 208
Ages: 8+
Finished: Mar. 6, 2011
First Published: Nov. 9, 2010
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Genre: children, manga, fantasy
Rating: 3.5/5


First sentence:

Naomi, this way.


Acquired: Received a review copy from Candlewick Press.

Reason for Reading: Next in the series.

The book starts, as usual, with four gorgeous full colour pages of art and on each page is a very brief summary of something that has happened in the past volume, taken out of context. I must say that when I started reading this I was rather confused. I read Vol. 1-3 back-to-back so obviously followed the storyline then with no problem but with a break of 3 months between, the fact that this series does not contain the usual "The Story So Far" summary of most manga or the page of characters and their descriptions to refresh your memory was sorely lacking. I floundered my way through the first pages as the book opens right in the middle of an action sequence trying to sort out what was going on and who was who. Once that had happened for me, I settled into the book nicely and enjoyed the second half ever so much more. It reminded me again of why I had enjoyed the first three so much and why I like this series.

It's impossible to give a story summary at this point without spoilers so I'll briefly but somewhat cryptically say the three friends are still looking to save their fourth kidnapped friend, Mel. The reader has been with Mel and knows the turmoil she is going through as she gets to know the others controlled by Uro. This volume brings all the Tribes of the Turtle Realm together as we watch our warriors confront two major battles against Uro's dark Yami magic. A good story, some reveals are made, but I had guessed them already. Though now it shall be interesting to see where the story line goes. I am enjoying this series but do miss the usual manga summaries at the beginning. Before I read the next volume, I think I'll take a quick browse through this one to refresh my memory.

Comments

Popular Posts