114. The Odyssey: Homer by Tim Mucci


The Odyssey: Homer by Tim Mucci. Art by Ben Caldwell & Rick Lacy (Canada) - (US)
An All-Action Classic, #3

Pages: 128
Ages: 10+
Finished: May 11, 2011
First Published: May 4, 2010
Publisher: Sterling
Genre: children, graphic novel, Greek mythology
Rating: 2/5


First sentence:

Once again my thoughts take me far away...
across the many years...
over the wine-dark seas...
to the strong-walled city of Troy.
Acquired: Received a review copy from Sterling.

Reason for Reading: This was a Cybils '10 nominee and I hadn't read it by the time judging was due as it was not a contender by that time and I'm just now getting to it.

I really don't have a lot to say about this adaptation of Homer's Odyssey. I did not enjoy it, and in fact found it confusing and rather boring. Let me preface that statement by saying I am a great fan of Greek mythology and have read *many* retellings of The Odyssey and will continue to do so as I love the story. However, this adaptation jumped around from scene to scene, flashback to present, with no segues between leaving out a lot of the *why* we are suddenly in a certain situation. Knowing the story well, I knew what was missing but I can't imagine this being someone's first exposure to Homer's Odyssey. The art also was certainly not appealing to me. I found it very busy with a lot of stuff going on in each individual panel that took away from the basic action it was meant to depict and I'm just not a fan of the square-jawed angular type of art. Of course this is just aesthetic and will vary with ones personal tastes in art. Overall, not recommended.

Comments

Popular Posts