161. Jack of Fables #9: The End

The End by Bill Willingham & Matthew Sturges. Art by Tony Akins & Russ Braun (US) - (Canada)
Jack of Fables, #9

Pages: 144
Ages: 18+
Finished: Jun. 8, 2012
First Published: Jul. 19, 2011
Publisher: Vertigo
Genre: graphic novel, fairy tale retellings, fantasy
Rating: 3/5



First sentence: "Alexandria, Virginia. Too many years and too many miles of hard road later..."

Publisher's Summary: Jack Frost has just set upon the greatest quest in a long and distinguished career of great quests: To kill a dragon. Of course, he is not aware that the dragon in question is in fact his own father. Meanwhile, the Page Sisters find a new purpose in life: restoring the Great Library.

Acquired: Purchased new from an online retailer.

Reason for Reading: Next (and last) in the series.

What I like about this (and any Fables series) is you can just pick up where you left off and not have any trouble getting back into the story.  I can't believe I put this book off for a year, I did pre-order it!  Anyway as I start to write my review I see this volume has a very low overall general rating.  Without having read other reviews yet, I can't be sure why, but I think people are being overly hard on it.  I actually enjoyed this volume and had a fun time with the last of the series.  I've really enjoyed this series for the last few books, ever since Jack Frost appeared on the scene, but it has never been up to the original Fables quality.  Still, I've had fun with it and this volume continued that.  Four stories were on going to wrap up everyone's story arc, all to be culminated at the same place at the same time.  The Page Sisters trying to restore the Great Library and regain immortality, (the sisters are my favourite characters), Jack Frost having decide to retire comes out of retirement for a final quest to slay a dragon. Jack Horner (now the dragon) and Gary wait in there cave for their destiny to arrive. And the rest of the Golden Boughs community, headed by Raven, are sent on a mission to go help Jack (the dragon).  Oh wait, there's one more story: Wicked John, currently impaled with Excalibur goes nuts and is drawn towards the final battle.  I had a lot of fun seeing all my favourite characters, thought the story was wrapped up nicely, though not how I would have wished!, and we are left with a possibility that someone may show up in the Fables universe again.  Not the greatest volume, but not the worst, and certainly a fun and humorous ending.

Comments

  1. I sort of got disappointed with this series... I like Fables much better and wasn't really disappointed this was over.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts