2014 Historical Fiction Reading Challenge - FINISHED

Feb 10: Officially finished but I'm going to continue on and work my way up through the ranks!


I used to read a ton of historical fiction and this blog can testify to that but as the years have gone by I've read less and less, though I do still dip my toe in but waaay less often than I thought.  I was going to join the ten books level but I just checked how many books I tagged hf in 2013 and I only came up with 11!  Jeez!  So I better go with the 5 book level and hope I can level up from there.  I do know why I read so little hf this year though; it is because I put a self-imposed ban on WWII and Civil War books for the year as I was reading so many of them (not because they are my favourite time period, but just because I naturally gravitate to books taking place during those eras) that I was fed up with reading them even though I enjoy them.  Makes no sense but there you go!  My favourite historical time periods are: Victorian Era (approx. 1840-1900), Chinese Cultural Revolution, China's Communist takeover and life before and during those early years, post WWI to pre WWII Western history (ie Canada, England, US) and the Russian Revolution along with the years just before and after.  Oh, I also like reading about pioneer/frontier life in Canada/US (1800s+).  I have an aversion to French history and the entire 18th century.


Post reviews here.

Jan.1-Dec. 31 (2014) Goal:  5 books
Victorian reader - 5 books
1. Vinland Saga: Book One by Makoto Yukimura
2.  Little Joe by Michael E. Glasscock III
3. Vinland Saga Book Two by Makoto Yukimura
4. The Kept by James Scott
5. The Courage of Sarah Nobel by Alice Dalgliesh
FINISHED!

Renaissance Reader - 10 books
6. The Trial of Dr. Kate by Michael E Glasscock III
7. The Sword in the Tree by Clyde Robert Bulla
8. The Secret Valley by Clyde Robert Bulla
9. Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children 2: Hollow City by Ransom Riggs
10. Then Like the Blind Man: Orbie's Story by Freddie Owens

Medieval - 15 books
11. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
12. Paradise by Toni Morrison
13. Red Dragon - White Dragon by Gary Dolman
14. The Tweedles Go Electric by Monica Kulling
15. The Shadow/Green Hornet: Dark Nights by Michael Uslan

Ancient History - 25 books
16. Hidden: A Child's Story of the Holocaust by Loïc Dauvillier
17. Vinland Saga 3 by Makoto Yukimura
18. The Scarlet Letter: Graphic Novel by Nathaniel Hawthorne  by P. Craig Russell
19. Winter of Peril : The Newfoundland Diary of Sophie Loveridge, Mairie's Cove, New-Found-Land, 1721 by Jan Andrews
20. Always Emily by Michaela MacColl
21. The Hollow Tree by Janet Lunn
22. Dear Canada: A Country of Our Own: The Confederation Diary of Rosie Dunn, Ottawa, Province of Canada, 1800 by Karleen Bradford
23. Vinland Saga  4 by Makoto Yukimura
24. Cop Town by Karin Slaughter
25. Dear Canada: Pieces of the Past: The Holocaust Diary of Rose Rabinowitz, Winnipeg, Manitoba, 1948 by Carol Matas

Prehistoric - 50+ books
26. The Eighth Circle of Hell by Gary Dolman
27. Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani
28. Prisoners in the Palace by Michaela MacColl
29. Dear Canada: A Trail of Broken Dreams: The Gold Rush Diary of Harriet Palmer, Overland to the Cariboo, 1862 by Barbara Haworth-Attard
30. Vinland Saga, 5 by Makoto Yukimura
31. Tales of the Talented Tenth: Bass Reeves by Joel Christian Gill
32. Death at Chinatown by Frances McNamara
33. All Fall Down: The Landslide Diary of Abby Roberts, Frank, Alberta District, 1902 by Jean Little
34. The Widow Smalls and Other Stories by Jamie Lisa Forbes
35. Clockwork Game: The Illustrious Career of A Chess-Playing Automaton by Jane Irwin
36. The Harlem Hellfighters by Max Brooks
37. Gaijin: American Prisoner of War by Matt Faulkner
38. Dear Canada: An Ocean Apart: The Gold Mountain Diary of Chin Mei-Ling, Vancouver, British Columbia, 1922 by Gillian Chan
39. Dear Canada: A Sea of Sorrows: The Typhus Epidemic Diary of Johanna Leary, 1847 by Norah McClintock




Comments

Popular Posts