Death at Chinatown (An Emily Cabot Mystery 5) by Frances McNamara

Death at Chinatown (An Emily Cabot Mystery 5) by Frances McNamara

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


A good mystery which I'd normally call a cozy but it contains a serious degree of historical information not usual for the everyday cozy. One can tell the author is extremely researched in the time period and in all the details which the main character comes across in this story which mainly have to do with medicine and the state of the Chinese in Chicago during this time period. I enjoyed the characters, except Stephen the husband, and many real-life personages are included in the cast. I did find the book slow going for the most part, the historical atmosphere held my attention more than the plot but I did find the solution to the mystery a surprise at the end. I also found the book too feminist for my tastes. Without going into too much detail the main character is continuously coaxed and given ultimatums to go back to work, for the sake of the women's cause, when her natural instinct is telling her to be at home with her two children aged 15mos and younger. The husband's actions particularly irritated me.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts