How I Stole Johnny Depp's Alien Girlfriend by Gary Ghislain

How I Stole Johnny Depp's Alien Girlfriend by Gary Ghislain

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Hardcover, 174 pages
Published June 8th 2011 by Chronicle Books

I was completely smitten with this book for middle-graders. I wish I hadn't taken so long to get around to reading it. The unique plot involves a visiting alien whom a step-brother/sister duo tries to help whilst risking their own lives and sanity in the process. Lots of laughs, a whirlwind of action and blooming romance. These types of boy/girl fantasies are quite the norm, but this one does provide uniqueness with it's setting in the Parisian countryside of France and the capital city itself. Whilst the odd involvement of Johnny Depp is a story grabber and all three main characters, Frog, Malou and Zelda bloom and grow throughout the story. I enjoyed the fast-paced, high-quality writing and would read this author again. A wild, funny and meaningful ride for MGs and YAs. The author is Parisian-American and due to this my warning to some parents is a note on acceptable cultural differences. The book contains smoking, wine-drinking (even while driving) and suggestive sexual interaction. Personally, I rate the book Middle-Grade and up. Age 12+




Comments

Popular Posts